- 70% of waste in the Beauty Industry comes from Packaging.
- 80 million tones of plastic are dumped in our Oceans every year (not just from Beauty Industry).
- There are 10 rivers in the World responsible for 90% of the plastic in the Oceans – 8 in Asia and 2 in Africa.
- Around 120 billion units of packaging are produced a year by the global cosmetic industry, much of which is not recyclable.
- Plastic was found in a third of the fish caught in UK.
- An average face moisturising pot can take up to 1000 years to decompose.
- 56% of Brits don’t recycle bathroom products, thats about 4.5 million of people.
- Brits use on average 142 litres of water per day, Aveda worked out that we could save up to 6 gallons of water by cutting 3 minutes of our shower time.
- 844 million of people in the world are living without water, Aveda is raising awareness and working with WaterAid on a campaign challenging individuals to go and extra day without washing your hair.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO SUPPORT SUSTAINABILITY?
- Learn to recycle everything! Check Labelling before you determine recyclability.
- Try the recycling program Return To Origins which welcomes all beauty containers (including lids, tubes and caps) regardless of the Brand.
- Remember cotton wool or beauty wipes are not recyclable, look for compostable options.
- Buy from Brands that use 100% post consumers recycled PET. Aveda response to sustainability
- Be conscious about your water usage and try to cut a few minutes from every shower and try to go 1 extra day without washing your hair.
- Minimise waste.
- Support organisations dedicated to sustainability.
For more information on Aveda recycling program contact firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s hard to change from one day to the other but if we all do a little bit everyday it is possible to make this World a more sustainable World 🌍